Everyone’s smoke free journey is different with unique challenges and insights. We’ve asked some of the ex smokers in our office and community members at the Better Health Yarning Group on what surprised them during their journey to smoke free.
After I quit smoking things I learnt that surprised me were:
1. That I was capable of doing anything I set my mind to.
2. Nicotine isn’t as addictive as everybody told me it was.
3. That there is a better way to deal with stress. When I was quitting I talked to people and kept myself super busy.
4. Just how disgusting I smelled when I used to smoke. Now that I’m smoke free I cant stand the smell of a smoker.
5. How ugly I looked smoking. At the time I thought I looked cool now I see how unsocial it is.
6. That I was less stressed once I quit. My smoking made me more stressed.
7. That I didn’t experience a huge difference in my sense of smell and taste. That was a little disappointing.
8. Just how much my breathing improved when I quit. I was so scared that I got COPD (like my dad) and it was too late.
9. That my old smoker friends were shocked that I quit. Did they not think I could do it?
10. That I didn’t have any cravings for cigarettes. I think my mind just turned it off.
11. How much my sense of smell and taste improved a lot. Even the smell of perfume was stronger.
12. How much my appetite came back- I love food now.
13. How much I cant stand the smell of smoking. Which is weird because smoking used to be one of my favourite things.
As you can see from the difference in experiences above, everyone who quits has their own unique journey. We understand this better than most so if you have been thinking of giving up the smokes or even cutting back we have a deadly Smoking Cessation Worker you can have a chat to-Tristan click here for more details.
If you have another experience that surprised you when you quit smoking, you’re welcome to leave it in the comment section below 🙂